History. For many years prior to 1937, Professor Albert E. Parr, then Director of the Bingham Oceanographic Foundation, felt that there was a distinct need in this country for a publication that would serve as a vehicle for short articles on "marine biology and oceanography". In 1937 these aspirations were realized with establishment of the Sears Foundation through generous gifts from Mr. Henry Sears. The primary function of the Sears Foundation, then as now, has been publication of the Journal of Marine Research and Memoirs of the Sears Foundation.
Olsen, Yngve H.. 1961. "Note to subscribers, authors, and associate editors." Journal of Marine Research 19, (1). https://elischolar.library.yale.edu/journal_of_marine_research/957