The pump was used in 1951 to study the 'character of coronary blood flow and devise methods for its safe removal from the open heart. In 1952, with a commercially made version of William Sewell's pump (only one was made) in conjunction with a donor animal to provide oxygenation for the subject animal, experiments on the prevention of air embolism from the open heart were carried out employing electrically induced ventricular fibrillation.
Annual Report 1948-1949: William Glenn joined staff, 1 Sept 1948; “he has rapidly taken hold of the vascular surgical problems…this phase of our general surgery has steadily climbed back toward the eminence lost when Dr. Shumacker resigned”.
From the Yale Vascular History Powerpoint.
Images may be used for purposes of research, private study, or education. The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.